For us there's no autumn without apple pie and this is a recipe we love to do over and over again☺️
I even remember where I found it; I was reading a magazine while waiting for the dentist. Back then there were no phones with cameras so I must admit (sorry dentist!) I ripped out the magazine page with the recipe.....
Hope you will love it as much as we do.
For the pastry:
- 180-210 grams all-purpose flour
- 150 grams cubed unsalted butter
- 60 grams icing sugar
- 1 yolk
For the filling:
- About 700 grams cooking apples, peeled and cut in wedges (must not be too thin, see picture)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 2,5 deciliter (double) cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 deciliter almond shavings
Steps to make it
For the pastry
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the flour, butter, sugar and egg yolks into a large, clean bowl.
- Combine the ingredients with your fingertips (or preferably in a food processor) until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 175-200 C.
- Roll out the dough and line a 23-centimeter pie dish, peck the dough with a fork and powder some flour on, followed with your apple slices in a nice design.
For the filling
- Gather the ingredients and pour it over apple slices and sprinkle the almond chippings on top.
- Bake in the middle of a hot oven about 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and pastry is brown.
Serve with cream if you like but it’s not necessary ☺️
And don't forget to lit candles, take a nice cup of coffee or tee and place your self in a cozy armchair.